Saturday, August 21, 2010

Soda Shop Flavorings

Today just happens to be my in laws' wedding anniversary, so my sister in law and I got together to work on our cupcake skills and end up with a delicious treat to share with my husband's parents for the occasion. We were down to two choices... Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes and Malted Milk Cupcakes. The first time I ever had a "malt" (milkshake with malt powder mixed in) was at their house, about one month into my new relationship, so I had to go with the Malted Milk Cupcakes.

The recipe I have called for vanilla malt cupcakes with chocolate malt espresso icing. Because I knew I would be taking these to these later in the evening, I decided to switch it up a bit. I made Chocolate Malt Cupcakes and Fluffy Vanilla Malt butter cream. I want to work a little more on the Chocolate Malt Cupcakes & change a few things. They were good and completely edible, but I am just super picky! So here is my recipe for the Fluffy Vanilla Malt butter cream:

3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 lb (4 cups) powdered sugar
3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp malted milk powder

To begin, cream the butter on medium high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. After adding each cup of powdered sugar, beat at high speed for 10 seconds then reduce speed back to medium and repeat until all sugar has been added. Then beat in the vanilla extract and begin with 3 tbsp of malted milk powder. Add more to taste, depending on what strength of malt flavor you choose. You can refrigerate this icing in an airtight container for up to 10 days. If you do refrigerate it, allow icing to warm to room temp again before icing cupcakes.

This recipe would be delicious on a variety of different cupcakes. If you're having a soda shop themed party, this would be a wonderful addition to tie the theme into your treats! More to come from my kitchen soon! My next cupcake concoction... Orange Clove cupcakes with a Cinnamon butter cream, for a savory pairing. A fun website to visit for your cake and cupcake decorating needs... www.bakeitpretty.com. They have an array of vintage styled toppers, tons of sprinkles and paper cupcake liners. Happy baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment