Monday, July 2, 2012

2 yr. Kidney Anniversary!

On July 8, 2010 my family experienced a miracle.

My husband (he was 28 at the time) received a kidney transplant from a living donor which saved his life. The living donor, Carol, wasn't an old family friend or relative - she was one of my husband's coworkers. She wasn't the kind of coworker he would talk frequently to, he was in School Cafeteria Management and she worked in the office part time and as a teacher part time. They didn't even work in the same department.

Carol came to know about my husband's deteriorating health (due to birth defects) when overhearing a conversation between him and another school employee. From the get-go, she told him she would donate her kidney to him and she never faltered. She says she knew she was going to do it and that she just knew she was his perfect match, and she was!

As the young wife of a young man who has to go through this, it has been hard. I won't lie. I am extremely impatient and I have a very, very short fuse! The only thing that has kept me from completely falling apart is my faith. I couldn't do this alone and I've never been alone. We were married on June 21, 2008 and the next Spring (I was 22 and he was 26), we were catapulted into a life I've never known. Joey underwent surgery for his A/V fistula on April 22, 2009 and began dialysis that very day. We chose at-home hemodialysis because of its flexibility in schedule and the machine was less harsh on his body than the large machines they keep in the clinics.


After much waiting, testing and anticipation the surgery occurred on July 8, 2010. To this day, they are both healthy and leading completely normal lives. To say that Jesus had his hands on us would be an understatement. He completely covered our family in healing and mercy.

My husband had his 2 year kidney biopsy today, which takes a very tiny piece of tissue from the kidney and is tested for any rejection. The biopsy is a much more intensive test and lets the doctors know about the very earliest signs of rejection. His last 2 biopsies have been completely perfect and we're praying (HARD) that this one is, too.

Jesus gets all of the credit for how perfectly orchestrated everything was. From placing my husband at the school at just the right time to meet Carol, to her overhearing the conversation and having the courage to give him new life. Jesus is the reason, if you asked Carol, she would say the same.

There are a lot of really intriguing tales about them and their meeting and the kidney transplant itself... but the best story I heard was about Carol during the removal of the kidney. Most kidneys only have one vein running to them... it's very rare to come across anything else. Carol's had two, and they were wrapped in the shape of a heart around the kidney which would be donated to my husband.

We are beyond blessed, and eternally grateful for Carol's selflessness. I know Jesus is saving her a special place in Heaven, she has become our second mother (my second mother-in-law). She gave life to one of my most precious gifts (next to my daughter) and I would gladly lay down my life for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment