So... you know in one of my more "recent" posts how I said I was going to try to keep up with this blog? Yeah, that apparently didn't stick. So... here is me, proving my human imperfection and trying again.
Doesn't the old adage go "if you don't succeed, fry an egg? Or is it try again?" ;-)
Honestly, you can thank the wonderful leaders of my church small group for this post! Today, my leader had to provide breakfast to our church band/staff, as there is a sign up rotation to do so weekly. They spend hours helping people worship and get to know Jesus, the least we can do is provide them breakfast! Knowing the task that she had ahead of her, I offered my assistance in baking something to take to church in the early morning hours. It just so happens that she, and several others wanted the recipe of what I made. A Blueberry Breakfast Bread Pudding.
This is no ordinary bread pudding! Well... at least to my husband and I. We got this recipe from one of the BEST innkeepers in the entire Southeast! Her name is Diane McCray and she runs the Green Palm Inn, located in historic Savannah, Georgia. My husband and I stayed there on our honeymoon and this was the very first breakfast we shared as a married couple. It was so delicious, I begged for the recipe!
Blueberry Breakfast Bread Pudding
Diane McCray, Green Palm Inn - Savannah, GA
1 & 1/2 Loaves Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread (I use Pepperidge Farm)
Plenty of Blueberries, Frozen or Fresh
1 package of cream cheese, softened
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup (the best quality you can find)
Pinch of Salt
Ground Cinnamon (for sprinkling, this is my personal addition to the recipe)
Blueberry Syrup (for serving)
Spray a 9x13 baking dish with pam/butter spray (your preference).
Spread cream cheese on all pieces of cinnamon raisin swirl bread & press together to make sandwiches. Cube "sandwiches" into 4 pieces & line one layer on the bottom of your prepared pan. Sprinkle blueberries over the bottom layer and then add one final layer of cubed cream cheese "sandwiches". Sprinkle more blueberries of the top.
Whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup & salt. Pour over the top of the cream cheese cubes & blueberries. Cover dish with aluminum foil & refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, place the dish in a 350 degree oven (with the aluminum foil on top) for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Then remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes to lightly brown the top. Remove from oven.
Sprinkle the top with cinnamon (to taste) and let rest in your dish for 10 - 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve with blueberry syrup for best results.
I have 7 mature blueberry bushes on my property and always pick several gallons of blueberries each year to freeze, so I can make this dish any time without having to spend 2.50+ on a single pint of blueberries. I used a whole quart bag of blueberries on the dish this time! So if you can find frozen blueberries for a better price, by all means use them! It also helps that I get my eggs from my grandmother's free range chickens... makes the eggs more nutritious and delicious!
You can also buy Blueberry Syrup from your local grocery store... Smuckers sells a great alternative to homemade. However, I usually use homemade if I'm just making the dish for my family. Blueberry Syrup can be tedious & it is VERY perishable, but once I perfect my syrup recipe, I'll post that as well.
In closing I would like to apologize for not posting a photo of the dish, but I didn't think about it and all I have left to photograph is an empty dish! Although, next week - it looks like I'll be making it again for dinner at my small group (breakfast for dinner, yum!), so I'll take a photo and post it then! Stay tuned for more recipes & project updates! I still need to get photos of my living room redeco up, from this past Summer AND I just put together a Bill Organizer that I came across via Pinterest/Blogland which has already saved us money, and I just put it together last night! More to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment