A thought occurred to me tonight while watching TV… one of those storage unit commercials came on & stated that the solution to unwanted things like furniture and home decor is storage. Seriously?! Why should we store all of the crap that we don’t want or use anymore? Why can it not be donated to someone who has nothing or even recycled? Why do we need to pay store this stuff that we aren’t going to use?
That is honestly the question of the evening for me… why do we get so attached to things? The saddest thing is, some of us are more attached to our stuff than our family members! I love the show Hoarders… I find it fascinating… I know people that refuse to throw away old, useless pens and pencils. It just amazes me that people can get so attached to inanimate objects and amass such a large collection that they eventually run out of space to live themselves. Its really much more than an individual problem, its a community problem. We Americans have more STUFF than anyone needs, ever! I purge things in my house twice, annually. If I haven’t used it within that 6 months, why do I need it? I do have some attachment to a few items, yearbooks, the cake topper/flutes used in our wedding, photos, etc. I hate clutter. I hate it so much that my husband and I purchased a few large CD cases that now house our DVD collection.
So… I just thought I would share that, my “odd thought of the day”. Its just a little something to get you thinking, too! We’re just so used to buying what we want that we don’t realize how much stuff we collect in one year, imagine how much you would collect over a lifetime! That could be very scary!
Sweet dreams and happy cleaning!
No comments:
Post a Comment