Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Changes

This last month has seen some serious changes in my life. First, my husband dropped a serious bomb that he has decided he wants to become a trucker. Not that there is anything wrong with that... it is just that he has health issues and I'm afraid that being gone so often & sitting for so long can have a serious effect on his health. Plus, he'll be gone all the time. So... that's one thing. A week later, I was told that I was being laid off from my job & had until the day before Thanksgiving to work. Ok... not a bad time if you ask me. I needed a break & needed some serious time to get all the things done that I needed to, in order to be prepared for Christmas.

Despite all of these seemingly unhappy changes in my life... I haven't really "gotten down" about it. I think the one that upset me the most was finding out that my husband wants a job where I'll get to see him maybe 1 x per week. Considering that there has hardly been a week when we've been away from each other since we met nearly 8 years ago, that will be incredibly difficult. As far as the loss of my job, I was more upset that I was losing the camaraderie with all the girls I've grown to love over the last 5 years. They were and still are some of my greatest friends. I have learned so much by working with them and its made me the person I am today. It's not that I didn't enjoy my job... it was a fast paced work environment & there were always challenges. That part I enjoyed thoroughly. I just needed a break/vacation from worrying about anything other than what I've got at home, my husband and daughter. I haven't yet had the bubble bath with a glass of wine and a good book... but I'll get to that soon! Christmas is a beast for me & I have taken the bull by the horns, so to speak. Luckily that will be handled within a week and a half and I can get a billion other things on my to-do list completed. Like sign up for unemployment.

No... you didn't read that incorrectly. I have not yet filed for unemployment. I decided to wait because I didn't need the money right away and I also figure that the week after Christmas, they may not be so busy (with people out of town and whatnot). Technically, we could live without the money... but I worked for it... so I should use it! My husband doesn't make a lot of money... he makes a little more than what I made but we never bought things we couldn't afford, we aren't in loads of debt (thanks to my Dad for letting us rent his rental... I love this house so it works out perfectly), we both own our cars outright (although they are not in the best condition). We really just pay for rent, preschool for Justice & utilities. We were blessed by God when the Preschool offered Justice a scholarship which helps pay for almost half of her tuition. I'm not the best (regular food) chef in the world... but there is never a better time to learn!

So needless to say... I have been very busy and will continue to be so... but at least I write my own rules now and no matter what comes my way, I can still be positive about it! Blessings and love to my prior employer & prior co-workers... without them I wouldn't be in such a good spot right now. It really is true that when God shuts a door, he opens a window... now all I need to do is learn how to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment