Saturday, September 17, 2011

99 days and counting...

I cannot believe it is only 99 days to Christmas. It is my favorite holiday... however this year I am less excited about it's arrival than previous years. Once I get closer to the date, I'm sure I'll cheer up and be my normal self... but I am having the most difficult time formulating gift ideas right now. Many people I know would tell me that I am not having these problems, considering that I am done shopping for my nephew, one of my nieces, my husband's sister and I know what I will be getting my husband's aunt. You would honestly have to see my Christmas gifts to believe that I am in fact "having trouble"! My husband's family isn't where I run into the most snags... it's my own! I have a very big family (not siblings) but a lot of very close Aunts/Cousins & all of my Grandparents are still living (I am very blessed). Although between my daughter & my brother's three kids, and Joey's sister's daughter, we have a number of kids to buy for (and kids are always spoiled... if the adults have to go without, I apologize but the kids should never have to).

Christmas in my mind has always been a time of giving more than receiving. Yes, it's nice to receive, but in this recession who has the money?! So I can promise that this year, the adults will be receiving a great majority of homemade goodies from us. I work for the government now, and make about 1/3rd of what I made at my previous two jobs over the last 6 years. I've made serious strides in our grocery bill cutting it by nearly 70%, but Christmas and I always had an understanding "spoil everyone". This year, we have to adjust our relationship and it's going to be hard for me. I now have to open my mind to even more creative avenues of gift giving and it honestly exhausts me to think of how! I have done scarves over the last two years, so that is out... I love to paint but I'm not the best and art is a very personal gift. I am also very critical of my own work, so I am thinking art is definitely out. As I roll thoughts around in my head regarding this subject, I will post them & share. Pinterest is being a tremendous help right now with DIY projects/crafts... but I still need to weed through them. More to come as time rolls on...

Lastly (and certainly most important of all), PRAISE THE LORD!! Joey has found a school that offers a degree in his chosen field and he has applied! He wants to get his Associates (first of all) in Web Application Development. He is really excited to get going and I am so excited for him and so proud! Many prayers will be needed for his acceptance, endurance through the classes and sanity all around for each of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment